Monday, November 11, 2013

Day 8- Google Map- Please Contribute! :) #edcmooc

Today I am learning how to make a Google Map which can be added to by 1,000 people. (I wonder...does that make it a wiki-map?)  When I asked for assistance, our very helpful TA, Ary Aranguiz gave me easy to follow, step-by-step instructions on how to create a map which we can all add our location to.  These directions AND the map link can be found pinned at the top of the Fb group page, #EDCMOOC. (Thank you, Ary!) 

Alternately, you can add your name and location and even a brief description of who you are to the map by following this link:

As of this writing we have 21 points on our map. I have embedded it here so we watch it grow.  You can also click on the [Full Screen] brackets to go to the map.



Imagine what it will look like with 1,000 points!  Also, you might want to check back from time to time, as it seems that since some of us are new at this, data occasionally "goes missing."  For example, last night when I viewed the map, I saw many more descriptions than I see this morning. :/  I'm not sure what happened (reminds me of a few of my students' wiki experiences!) but once you enter your data, check back in a couple of days and if any of your data is missing, please re-enter it. :)

Here are a few tips: 
To add a description and/or a picture, click on your name in the list and then click the pencil (edit) and add your information. To add a picture, TA Chris Swift provided these directions:  Here's how I did it - search for something on Google images, find an image you like, right click on it, and choose "open link in new tab". Your picture will open all by itself in a new tab. Copy that link and paste it into the bit for weblink within your pin's description - as below

If you need to edit your name as well,
Choose the data table:

And it gives you an easy form in which to input (or re-input) your information!

You can also change the color of your marker if you'd like. Let's have fun with this! (Go team?) :)



4 comments:

  1. Great map, thanks for putting this together. I just added myself in sunny Edinburgh! It is super to see such a spread of people and get a sense of where participants are located in the world: a really interesting spatial representation of this MOOC...perhaps something that could be developed into a digital artefact for the final assignment?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you, Jeremy, for you addition and your kind words. I too find the visual representation interesting. This WOULD have made an interesting artefact! Wish I had remembered this post a week ago--guess I've been on overload. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. How cab I add my name, I cannot find the instructions

    ReplyDelete
  4. HI Henry, First, click on the map link above. then once on the map, do this:
    type your city, state and country into the search box and hit the magnifying glass. You will zoom to your town. Place a marker there by clicking on the marker below the search box and the "add marker" onto the map. Add a picture by copying the URL into the space provided. Add a description if you'd like! Be sure to save. :)

    ReplyDelete