Thursday, November 7, 2013

Day 4 - Mooc Management 101 #edcmooc

Yesterday I had an epiphany. After the first two days of feeling like I "had to" do a certain amount of reading, checking posts, writing blogs, Tweeting--it hit me. Why? Who said I had to?   

A few things happened yesterday in my journey through the mooc which changed my reality. First, I wanted to include Adventures in MoocLand, by Alan Cohen, an edcmooc classmate in my blog. Only I wanted to ask his permission first and it was midnight in California and 3 am on the east coast where I figured he was from.  Check out his amazing cartoon! (Alan is the guy with the light bulb over his head in the YouTube video from my last blog post!) :)

http://Pixton.com/ic:yhvimh4q

So I gave myself permission to NOT write a blog post every day of this mooc. Having freed myself from the task of writing a blog yesterday, I really started digging into the Twitter feed rather than merely scanning it.  Here is what I learned:
  • Go Animate is an awesome resource which I now need to investigate further. While I found several wonderful examples in the Twitterfeed, this one tells why Fabover50 is taking this course:

  • There is an Diigo. (I had never heard of a Diigo before so, of course, I had to check it out!)  https://groups.diigo.com/group/e_learning-and-digital-cultures-2013 This site is chock-full of resources! I could spend days here...
  • There are as many outside sources of articles and opinions as you have time to absorb.  Again, I found myself "wandering" from one to the next.  
  • But the real catalyst of last night's epiphany was this Tweet:
By now was midnight in California. It had been a long day.  I had read and learned a LOT in the mooc after a long day of teaching and other work "stuff." And then I saw this Tweet. Immediately the teacher/facilitator/even MOM wanted to jump in and respond, but I figured I am only two days more experienced than this person! Yes, I've replaced the egg on my Twitter account and I'm beginning to feel like I have a handle on what will work for me in this mooc, but there are many more experienced moocers abroad... And I thought I saw that other guy, @hamacleod on the course somewhere so maybe he would help. :) Twenty minutes later NOBODY had yet replied.  So I Tweeted back (and the teacher in me didn't think the first tweet was instructional enough):
This is when I realized that I really was starting to get a grip on things! :) And then I found this comment on my first day's blog and I knew that I finally had the right idea. 
 Thanks, Dr. Macleod :)

1 comment:

  1. nice blog please keep it up. A subscribe box would be nice.

    ReplyDelete