Sunday, November 17, 2013

Day 14 - What Defines Your SIGHT? #edcmooc

As week 2 draws to a close I am a little surprised how far I have come on this adventure through the MOOC: eLearning and Digital Cultures.  At the end of last week, I thought I had a grasp on this whole MOOC thing.  And then this week I found several new resources that I hadn’t even noticed before.  I’ve also seen several people on the course who say that they are taking it for the second time around--I can see why.  


So, Week 2 in review-
New for me this week:
  • (learned how to and) created a Google map for everyone to add their name and location to.  If you haven't added yours yet, go to: http://bit.ly/1cQI5oy to add your marker!  It would be pretty exciting to see where everyone is from.  
  • I signed up for tweetdeck so that I could participate in my first ever tweetchat.  
  • Learned two new colloquialisms (through twitter, no less).  
    • “Bob’s your uncle!”  
    • “Put the butter on the spinach!”  


Perhaps the most exciting thing that happened to me this week was when my Tweet concerning the amazing "community" present in EDCmooc was read  by Dr. Sinclair during the Google Hangout. :)  Then when I tweeted my excitement over hearing my tweet read, she read that tweet as well.  Pretty heady stuff for a first-gen college grad who grew up on a little farm.  I have ancestors who came from Scotland and have always wanted to go there...today I did--digitally. .  I can't help but be struck by how much a Massive Open Online Course, with over 22,000 students can be affecting me so personally.

A shining jewel which surfaced in this weeks strolling through the MOOC was a reference to Amy Burvall's blog post entitled, Why We Need Digital Vikings, which can be found at: http://bit.ly/ULle31. This post was witty and creative in it's prescription on how-to explore the internet with the courage of a Viking. 

I have made a video with my reflections on week 2 and more of my thoughts on this week's videos and reading. I've been thinking a lot about the video Sight and other's reactions to it.  I find it most interesting that once the woman lost her agency and was controlled by the man, I assumed she was part of his imagination--not real--like the art on his blank apartment walls.  Yet others voiced a concern over a loss of agency. My "take away" from this is not a debate over who interpreted this video correctly, but rather that we students in EDCmooc come from many different age, education and cultural backgrounds from around the globe and of course we will interpret things differently.  This is an opportunity to benefit from others' Sight.  



  

No comments:

Post a Comment